cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MARS SNMP Polling Issue

patwill66_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have been getting some errors with my MARS box over the last couple days when adding in devices. When trying to do an SNMP discovery from the device add page, I am getting this error:

There is no Error Log for this Device.

I have looked through the logs on MARS but I haven't been able to find anything for the hostname or IP address I am working on. I have tried multiple devices and I continue to get this error. I have restarted the MARS appliance and that didn't help. Doing an SNMP query on a Cisco device works fine, its when I am trying to do it on a windows host is when I am having the issue. I have verified that SNMP polling works from other devices, its just error out with MARS.

One thing I have noticed is the graphgen module goes into a stopped state every once in a while. It seems like every day I have to do a pnstart.

Any ideas?

7 Replies 7

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Which version are you running? There are some graphgen related bugs in old releases. You should upgrade to the latest minor release in your train e.g. 5.3.x.

What version of SNMP is running on these Windows machines? V1 or V2? Why do you need SNMP for the Windows machines on MARS?

Regards

Farrukh

I am running 6.0.1 (3066) 30 as i just got this up and running two weeks ago.

SNMP version 2 is running on these servers, just standard snmp. I guess I dont need SNMP for the servers but its a required field in the device setup. I could put in false credentials and just not do the discovery but if I want to add in my antivirus as a reporting application, that info doesnt come up unless an SNMP discovery is done. I guess really it comes down to the fact it should be working but its not.

Is the device polling kept in any of the logs. I set the backend log to trace but I couldnt find anything that related to it.

Thanks for the help so far.

Have you added the MARS IP in the Windows SNMP configuration? Its supposed to have an ACL I think, because I remember we had the System Admin at one customer site change it to allow the SNMP agent (for some other monitoring application).

Regards

Farrukh

The servers I am working with are set to allow snmp requests from any host, so the ACL is not in effect. I have tested SNMP polls from other devices. We have two NMS systems that both poll and I have tested locally from my machine. SNMP polling doesnt even work from MARS on the same servers it worked on last week. I added servers last week and the polling worked, and now this week it doesnt.

Have you checked the packet sniffer option from the CLI to see the raw packets?

Regards

Farrukh

I assume you are referring to the command tcpdump? I did some testing and found that I can filter based on device by doing tcpdump host x.x.x.x.

I ran this utility on a new host I added and did the SNMP discovery and there were no packets that came through. The error that was shown doing the discovery in MARS was still "There is no Error Log for this Device."

I guess you have already checked this, but have you managed to ping this server from the MARS cli?

Are both of the devices in the same subnet?

Is it possible that some access filtering devices resides between MARS and the server or on the server itself?

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: