cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need feedback from Nexus 7000 users

jjessup
Level 1
Level 1

We are redesigning our data center switching infrastructure which is currently 6500 based. We are considering 6500/4948, 6500 VSS, and Nexus 7000 as possible platforms for the new architecture. I am interested in hearing feedback from other organizations that are now using Nexus 7000's in their data centers. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

Infrastructure scalability: using virtualization, power and cooling efficiency, density, and performance to support efficient data center infrastructure growth Operational continuity: integrated hardware, software, and management design to support zero downtime environments Transport flexibility: engineering foresight to enable the adoption of new technologies in an incremental, cost-effective manner For further information click this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9402/index.html

archari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Contacting your Cisco SE (systems engineer) should help. Im sure they can forward some case studies over (with the customer remaining anonymous of course)

tomek0001
Level 4
Level 4

Depending if you need service modules for your switches I would use the 6500. We were at the same situation where the 6500 VSS or the 7000 was an option and we decided to go with the 6500 VSS collapsed core. The main disadvantage of 7000 is that it will not support service modules like firewall, NAM...etc. I think the cost was also significantly higher. The 6500 is still the main switching platform cisco is putting most of their efforts (according to our cisco SE)

I think the 7000 and 4948 are good if you are looking at doing FiberChannel over Ethernet to run your SAN over Ethernet. I think that will be their main benefit.

Hope that helps

\rate if helpful

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, you've confirmed some of my own thoughts on the Nexus. Have you deployed the 6500 vss yet, if so how has it been working for you?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card