PDF titles

Unanswered Question
Dec 17th, 2008
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi,

Would it be possible to have a consistent usage of the pdf title field in the document properties?

Some examples:

File Name - Cisco ACE 4700 Series Appliance Quick Start Guide.pdf

PDF Title - QSGf.fmb

File Name - Cisco ACE 4700 Series Appliance CLI Configuration Guides Master Index.pdf

PDF Title - MasterIndexIX.mif

File Name - Cisco ACE 4700 Series Appliance Device Manager GUI Configuration Guide.pdf

PDF Title - ug.book

Also, many do not have anything in the title field - either blank or simply "untitled".

thanks,

Andrew.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mgoon Wed, 12/24/2008 - 19:28
User Badges:

Hi Andrew,

Good question - the metadata you are looking at in the Document Properties Title field is placed there automatically by Adobe Acrobat. To date it has not been Cisco practice to use the Document Properties Description fields, and consequently the metadata varies according to native filenames. However, the point you make is a good one, and we would like to evaluate a practice for using metadata in PDF book files. Thanks.

pmccubbin Tue, 12/30/2008 - 06:06
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Andrew,

Thanks for mentioning this idea (+5 from NYC) as it has bothered me for quite some time. I always have to change the title to something that makes sense and I will remember a week or two later.

Why can't user guide be spelled out in the title with the version of software?

Best,

Paul

Linda Waterhouse Tue, 01/06/2009 - 13:04
User Badges:

Hi Paul,

I can see that more meaningful PDF file names would make it easier to keep track of the numbers of docs you probably collect as part of your job - to know what the content is by looking at the file name, which is one of many files in a directory. Some doc groups do have naming conventions but PDF file naming varies across Cisco. Evaluating our current PDF file naming for consistency and readability is a good idea. Thanks.

Linda

Actions

This Discussion