cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement for 2511 Terminal Access Routers

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

What is the current replacement for these 2511s? How do we access consoles of 300+ devices?

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

You can get 4 x NM-32A (32 port Asynchronous Module) into a 3845. This would allow you to access 128 console ports. 3 x routers and 10 cards would allow console connectivity to your 300+ devices.

Hope this helps

Regards

Martin

Expensive terminal server if you have to use a 3845 though.

yeah, pretty pricey, but he asked for replacement for the 2511's, and 3845' allow for maximum async port capacity for current router.

Using 3845 for access server is not a smart

thing to do. Cisco 3845 is very expensive,

especially for access-server

The smart thing to do is to use Cisco 3660.

You can have up to 5x32 Async ports and one

NM module slot for Fast Ethernet. It is much

cheaper than 3845, IMHO, and more port-density.

Two 3660s will allow you to mange 300+ devices.

Don't use 3660's, the last day of support for them is Dec 31, 2008 (unless you don't care about that).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps274/prod_end-of-life_notice09186a0080184884.html

Hi

I can see your point, but the original request was for a current replacement for the 2511's. I have made the assumption that he will also desire the ability to be able to get support for it, but unfortunately the last day of support on the 3660's is new years eve this year. Probably won't have taken delivery and installed them before the boxes hit last day of support.

I know I wouldn't want to replace obsolete equipment in a network with other obsolete equipment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card