cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use cases for Cisco HWIC-3G for WWAN

bcturner
Level 1
Level 1

We are exploring the option of using WWAN via the HWIC-3G cards for a backup to our T1 MPLS circuits. I would like some feedback on how the cards and the WWAN 3G service is working for others. Is anybody seeing decent response times in the 150-100ms range?

3 Replies 3

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

Make sure that here is the restrictions for Configuring the 3G Wireless HWIC

The following restrictions apply to configuring the Cisco Wireless HWICs:

• Data connection can be originated only by the 3G wireless HWIC. Remote dial-in is not supported.

• Throughput-due to the shared nature of wireless communications, the experienced throughput varies depending on the number of active users or congestion in a given network.

• Cellular networks have higher latency compared to wired networks. Latency rates depend on the technology and carrier. Latency may be higher because of network congestion.

• VoIP is not currently supported.

• Any restrictions that are a part of the terms of service from your carrier.

jefferybjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Blaine,

I work for a credit Union and we are also looking into wireless, as a backup to our MPLS circuits. We currently are using ISDN; were you able to gain any headway on this. I did some research and have the config for that 3g card, but now just need a basic VPN configuration as well as how traffic will be rerouted.

Thanks

Jeff Johnson

i want to cover a site by using HWIC-3G and i asked my service provider about this service and he told me that he will give me 1.8 Mb/s for download and 384 Kb/s for upload . i see that this speed is low specially that i will use video conference after that. so can i use two HWIC-3G in the same time and make them as bundle to can transfer the streaming of video conference

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card