cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

difference between ip default gateway & ip default network

kaustubhchavan
Level 1
Level 1

wht is difference between ip default gateway & ip default network ?

7 Replies 7

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

ip default gateway is used when there is no IP routing and you need to pass traffic to a layer 3 device, when the IP address is not on any attached/connected interfaces.

ip default network is used when you do have ip routing enabled, and the device considers the default network as the route to any ip address that is not on any attached/connected interfaces, or in its routing table.

HTH>

Andrew,

can u please give me any example if possible ?

If you have a switch that is layer 3 manageable, and needs access to the internet - you configure the ip default-gateway, as the switch cannot run ip routing.

If you have a router, that is running ip routing, but is not configured to run a dynamic routing protocol, you could configure the ip default-network.

To be honest, I have been in networking for over 10 years, and have never had to use the ip default-network senario. I use the ip default-gateway all the time.

HTH>

In short, Default gateway need to configure on every router to get path for unknown destination packets.By using Default network command you need to configure only on one router in the network, so other routers can learn the exit gate by using routing protocol which distribute this information to others.

Hi Andrew,

but layer 3 switch like 3750 3550 u can give ip routing command then ?

The 3750 and 3550 are MLS - Multi Layer Switches, capable of Layer 2 and Layer 3.

What is your question? What do you want to do exactly?

Andrew u seem to have an answer.I have L3 switch with fa0/1 connected with a router on port fa0/0.I gave vlan 1 an ip :192.168.1.1/24.I gave the fa0/0 of the router an ip of 192.168.1.2/24.

I want to ping from the switch,the second interface of the router fa0/1 with an ip : 192.168.2.1/24.Maby the ip default-network could help me.I tried to with the command on switch : ip default-network 192.168.1.2,so i can ping 192.168.2.1 but it wont ping.Have u an answer for this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: