cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC and OCS comparison questions

kgroves42
Level 3
Level 3

I have a client that is currently using OCS clients and we just installed a Demo Presence server with CUPC clients. We have not integrated them yet. But the question they have is.

OCS works via the Internet they do not have to vpn in the the corporate network. Can the CUPC client securely do this? I looked though the SRND and other Doc's and I found all the ports that the CUPC client uses, but I am wondering if there is a better way? Maybe the phone proxy on the ASA?

The other question is: currently the OCS users can add the Presence status of users outside their Network (in particular people in microsoft). I was wondering if that can be done or if not is that a feature coming in the future.

Thanks for any info.

Ken

2 Replies 2

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

Cisco IP endpoints utilize native SRTP/TLS-encryption terminating on the ASA for secure remote connectivity across the internet without needing a remote VPN device. The Phone Proxy can also be used in internal voice/data VLAN traversal for softphone applications to securely connect to IP phones in the data VLAN, addressing a security concern with softphone deployments.

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Ken,

In 7.0 we have the federation concept,

This integration enables Cisco Unified Presence users in one enterprise domain to exchange presence information and Instant Messaging (IM) with Microsoft Office Communications Server (OCS) or Live Communications Server (LCS) users, or Cisco Unified Presence users, in a foreign domain

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/7_0/english/integration_notes/federation/Overview_chapter.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: