cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection 7: Changing alias for LDAP imported user

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

OK, so we have our Connection 7.0 system integrated with our LDAP server. Works great. I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but I suspect that because the alias is the key field (or is it), when I change the sAMAccountName in AD, what happens? Will it simply be a new account that I can import? How can I tie the old account to the new account.

For example, if jsmith changes their alias to janderson, what options do I have?

I looked at the COBRA tool, which would be really cool if I could simply import jsmith into janderson, but not sure if that will work.

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chatted with the DB folks about the behavior for AD synch - here's their reply:

==================

For AD, DirSync uses the objectGuid to correlate users. So changes to the samaccountname will simply trickle down to us in the form of an alias change. The other ldap directories don't have the objectGuid attribute. On those, if you change the "alias" in LDAP, it looks like a delete to us. That may change with CDS when Dirsync will start syncing distinguished names

==================

as a side comment, COBRAS does not support export from CUC 7.0 yet - probably about 6 weeks away from that depending on QA test cycles. I'm still working with the DB folks on what we can do to smooth the import process for folks using LDAP synch (either AD or otherwise).

Extremely cool. Thanks.

Let me know if you want me to beta test your export tool. I saw that it wasn't available yet and was going to ask about that on another thread...but you answered that question too!

Always looking for beta testers for big projects like COBRAS and ATM... I'll pop a message out here when I'm far enough along for some lab testing exposure.

I had hoped originally to have 7.0 export done by the end of this month but the requirement for Domino export support came down from on high which derailed me for 3 or 4 weeks (Domino is a complex little beastie) - but it's good to get that nailed down now anyway.

At any rate - I hope end of Jan. holds up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: