Unity Connection Questions

Unanswered Question
Dec 18th, 2008

We are in the process of implementing Unity Connection and have integrated it with our LDAP (AD) enviroment. This is functioning fine...one of my questions is the Voicemail Password. Is there a way I can set a default value for all users imported? I know that you could do this within the txt file for bulk import on earlier versions of Unity. I also have a question on the mailbox stores...what are the benifits of creating another mail store? We will have about 500 users on the system..should I seperate them by mailbox size on different mail stores?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
joeharb Thu, 12/18/2008 - 10:47

Thanks for your help...I missed the template...area where I can put in the password...I will try this out again...any ideas on the reason to create a new mail store?

rob.huffman Thu, 12/18/2008 - 11:07

Hi Joe,

Good question! We are just firing up our new UC 7.0 right now as well and I hadn't really considered the Mailbox Store aspect. Unless you have some real "power" users who save alot of VM's I'm not sure it's really necessary for 500 users. There are some other thoughts on this topic here;

During installation, Cisco Unity Connection automatically creates:

•A directory database for system configuration information (user data, templates, classes of service, and so on).

•A mailbox store database for information on voice messages (who each message was sent to, when it was sent, the location of the WAV file on the hard disk, and so on).

•An operating-system directory for voice message WAV files.

An administrator with the required permissions can create up to four additional mailbox stores. Each additional mailbox store includes:

•Another mailbox-store database for information on voice messages that are saved in that mailbox store. The database is presized for an average of approximately 40 messages each for 10,000 users, or about 1.25 GB. (The database application currently being used for Connection cannot dynamically resize a database after it is created.)

•Another operating-system directory for the voice message WAV files and other message attachments saved in that mailbox store.

Although there is one mailbox-store database for each mailbox store, there is only one directory database for the entire system. If you create an additional mailbox store and move the mailboxes for selected users to the new store, the directory information for the users remains in the directory database that was created when Connection was installed.

After you create a new mailbox store, you can either move existing mailboxes into the new store or you can create new mailboxes in the new store.

There is some discussion about doing DR - Backups and the time they take with multiple Mailbox Stores but I don't see that as a deal breaker. It seems to me that creating at least one additional MBS for these users right off the bat might be an excellent fit :)

I'm sure some other more knowledgable NetPros may have some good info here.

joeharb Thu, 12/18/2008 - 11:53

Thanks for the Links and information, I have read through the documentation before...just wanted to make sure that I am not missing something. We will have similar use by most users..although some may be need more space. From what you can tell does the install allocate out the maximum space on install for the default mailbox..I am currently running in a vm enviroment..if I create a mailbox store do I get an indication of how much space I have left? I hate to ask so many questions but I have learned from past experience that if you start on the right track on an implementation you will have far less issues.

This Discussion