Virtual access interfaces issue?

Answered Question
Dec 18th, 2008

Hi All,

I have 2 routers connected to each other with 2 T1 multilink. Virtual templates are used. I have two end points which connect via multiple T1 circuits using a virtual-access 1 interface. For some reason there is a virtual-access 2 interface which is not used and shows down and I wanted to know if there is a way to remove it. My understanding about virtual-access interfaces (which is very little) is that they are configured by the creation of a virtual-template interface. In this case there is only a virtual-template 1 interface, no virtual-template 2 interface so I am not sure how the virtual-access 2 interface gets created.

Here are more specifics: router 1 has virtual access 1 and 2 interfaces. Virtual access 1 is up with an IP and Virtual access 2 is down/down. On router 2, it has Virtual access 1 and 2 also. Virtual access 2 is up with an IP and virtual acccess 1 is down/down.

The attached file has running config + cdp nei + sh ip int bri to clarify.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Jose Montes about 8 years 1 month ago

attached is the config and the debugs that I did in my home lab.

Correct Answer by Jose Montes about 8 years 1 month ago

I hope I do not confuse you. I am new to this NetPro thing and want to learn myself. I have seen your problem but never really thought about it too much... until today.

I've duplicated this problem of an unused

virtual-access interface.

I connected two routers back-to-back and used

virtual templates with ip address and ppp

then I applied this template to the serial port.

R8 created only one virtual-access interface

R7 created two!

The difference I saw between the two if you

do a "Show vtemplate" is that R7 has pre-clonning enable and R8 does not.

I found out that if you have "pre-cloning is off" (use show vtemplate command to confirm if on/off),the router will not try to create any more virtual-access interfaces.

To turn it off:

R7#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

R7(config)#no virtual-template subinterfac

Then to delete the unused virtual-access interface, you need to reload the router.

once the router comes up, it will only have

the used virtual-access interface.

Interestingly, after R7 came up with only

one virtual-access interface, I went into config and enabled it again (enter "virtual-template subinterface"), the router created the unused virtual-access interface again...

I can send you the debugs and the configs if you would like...

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jose Montes Fri, 12/19/2008 - 16:39

I hope I do not confuse you. I am new to this NetPro thing and want to learn myself. I have seen your problem but never really thought about it too much... until today.

I've duplicated this problem of an unused

virtual-access interface.

I connected two routers back-to-back and used

virtual templates with ip address and ppp

then I applied this template to the serial port.

R8 created only one virtual-access interface

R7 created two!

The difference I saw between the two if you

do a "Show vtemplate" is that R7 has pre-clonning enable and R8 does not.

I found out that if you have "pre-cloning is off" (use show vtemplate command to confirm if on/off),the router will not try to create any more virtual-access interfaces.

To turn it off:

R7#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

R7(config)#no virtual-template subinterfac

Then to delete the unused virtual-access interface, you need to reload the router.

once the router comes up, it will only have

the used virtual-access interface.

Interestingly, after R7 came up with only

one virtual-access interface, I went into config and enabled it again (enter "virtual-template subinterface"), the router created the unused virtual-access interface again...

I can send you the debugs and the configs if you would like...

fashour Mon, 12/22/2008 - 12:09

Please send me the debugs if you can. Much appreciated. Can I also ask you, what is the use of pre cloning? I appreciate your time.

Actions

This Discussion