Dial By Extension RONA Issue

Unanswered Question
Dec 18th, 2008

I have an environment that is using UCCE 7.2(5), Call Manager 6.1(1), and CVP 4.1(1). We have created a Dial by Extension application using CVP where we are using a Network VRU script that gathers the digits and forwards the call to a label. The problem I'm having is with the RONA timers. If a Dial By Extension call is not answered we would like it to go to Voicemail, however if a call goes from queue to an agent and does not answer, the call should go back to queue rather than going to voicemail. When the CVP timer is longer than the Call Manager timer the queue RONA works but the Dial by Extension does not. When the Call Manager timer is longer than the CVP timer the Dial by Extension RONA works but the queue RONA doesnt. Any thoughts?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

I recently did a deployment with a similar suite of products - 7.2(4), 6.2(1), 4.0(2) - and one of the CVP menus provided options for dial by extension, dial by name etc. I thought initially about developing a dial by extension function with DB lookup or a web service, but I just handed these off to Unity.

Don't you have Unity?

As far as your questions go, one way to solve this is to have two lines. Why not do that?

Regards,

Geoff

john.miccio Thu, 12/18/2008 - 13:43

Hey Geoff. We actually did think about that, and the client does not want to use Unity for this type of application or add a second line...which is a pain :). It looks like we are going to end up making sure that the RONA for dial by extension works properly and then make sure that the agents are trained to put themselves in Not Ready if they are going to leave their desks. The worst thing that could happen is a Queue call goes to Voicemail and the agent is placed into a Not Ready state so it should only effect one call. I was hoping someone else had encountered this type of issue and knew of a way to make it all work together. If you think of anything else, I would certainly appreciate the help. Thanks for the quick reply.

Chad Stachowicz Thu, 12/18/2008 - 13:48

Well in every contact center I have done, I have only encountered issues by using a single line. My last two implementations it has been a requirement moving forward from our perspective that they use 2 lines for each agent, supposing they want that agent to recieve ANY phone calls from outside of the queue. We always pose it as a risk to their business and let the customer know that they will need to sign off the risks of using a single line and we won't be responsible for any negative actions the business recieves by not following Best Practices, such as the one your stating, plus reporting and many other issues. Maybe try this route, however if it was recommended from the initial stages it looks bad to tell them they need to do it now.

Chad

john.miccio Thu, 12/18/2008 - 14:00

Hey Chad. We actually did try to push the client towards using two lines, and I agree with you 100% that there are many possible negatives. We had a very detailed meeting regarding these negatives, and have gone back and forth with many "warning" emails to be sure the client is well aware of the problems they may encounter. The client does not have a lot of call volume so they are hoping that they won't see some of the problems we've talked about. Thank you very much for your reply and feedback. It's always nice to hear other opinions and make sure I'm in line with Best Practice. Thanks again!

Chris Deren Sun, 12/21/2008 - 08:03

Here is what I would recommand if you want to stay with single line:

Ensure the RNA on CM is longer than the one on CVP

In the AA script, I assume you are simply sending the call to a dynamic label where the desitnation is the entered extension, so check "requery" on that node, and follow it with abonther dynamic label that prefixes digits i.e. "1111" to it, somthing that does not overlap with anything on CM.

Create a CTI Route Point on CM 1111XXXX, (assuming 4 digit dialplan), and assign a VM profile to this RP that masks the DN to XXXX, check call forward all to VM on it as well.

So, what's going to happen is that calls from AA will first ring the extension for the timer set on CVP, if the call is not answered it will be send to the person's VM, so basically you are putting the contorl in ICM script rather than CM setting.

HTH,

Chris

john.miccio Mon, 12/22/2008 - 07:50

Chris,

I think I understand what you are saying here but wouldn't this send the call right back to the agent's phone? If the extension is 5555 and I send the call to a Route Point 11115555 that sends the call to 5555 wouldnt that put the call right back to the agent? Thank you for your advice.

Chris Deren Mon, 12/22/2008 - 08:15

No, the idea for the route point is to force the call straight to VM. It is configured to forward all calls to VM by checking the checkbox, and by applying proper VM profile it strips the prefix 1111 so that by the time it arrives in VM it is a valid extension of the user, i.e. 5555.

HTH,

Chris

Actions

This Discussion