cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Server IOS help

escarlitotx
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up a home lab w/ a 2509 Access Server, I have been using with Terra Term pro with no problem and now I can't get pass the ios boot process on the 2509. I've look on the web but not luck so far, I connect the console cable to any other router and the console setting works. Fairly new to cisco don't want to to anything that might permanently currupt the ios. I'll inclue an screenshot of how far the ios boots up. Thanks in advance to all!

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to down

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to down

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1, changed state to down

%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to administratively down

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to down

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1, changed state to down

%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-IN-L), Version 10.3(16), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 24-Oct-96 17:35 by richardd

%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0, changed state to administratively down

%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial1, changed state to administratively down

4 Replies 4

don-sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like a normal boot process on a 2509. By hitting the enter key it should respond with:

router>

You should then be able to configure your ip hosts to line mappings.

Carlos

If the suggestion from Don does not solve your problem I have a possible alternative explanation. I have seen symptoms that seem similar to what you are describing. They happened when someone configured the router with this:

line con 0

no exec

(they were treating no exec as an abbreviation of no exec-timeout - but it is not an abbreviation and is a separate command which stops the exec process on the console and results in no access through the console)

If the problem is no exec on the console there are at least 3 alternatives that you can try:

1) try access through the aux port on the 2509. If you can access the router by the aux port you might be able to get into config mode and enable exec on the console.

2) if you have configured an IP address on the 2509 Ethernet interface you might be able to telnet to the 2509. If you can access the router by telnet you might be able to get into config mode and enable exec on the console.

3) you might use the password recovery procedure to get into the router:

- power cycle the router

-break into rommon

- set the config-register to 0x2142 to ignore the startup config at boot

- boot the router

That might get you to a prompt on the router with an empty config. You could either try to restore the config (from startup-config which still exists even though the router did not use it at boot time) or to configure the router again from scratch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick, you were right it was the exec time out, got if fix. Really appreciates your help and the rest of the people in the forum. Thanks guys.

Carlos

Carlos

I am glad that you got it resolved and that my suggestion helped point in the right direction. Perhaps you could use the check mark in the rating system to indicate that the problem was resolved. This could make the posting more useful since other readers would know that a solution had been found for the problem?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card