cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS error - Authentication type not supported by External DB

gmuller
Level 1
Level 1

I am struggling to authenticate via our private 3G APN. Basically I connect to our company APN, then authentication to connect to the APN then gets relayed via the following server until it reaches our AD server which then respond. From our ISP which provides the APN the authentication request gets relayed via there Radius servers to our Cisco ACS server, our ACS server then sends the request to the AD server which then needs to respond to the request. But on the ACS I get the following error: Authentication type not supported by External DB.

Please can someone assist me?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

What authentication protocol are you running?

The error you're getting says that the authentication protocol is not supported by the backend db that ACS is talking to.

For example, you cannot use CHAP against Windows/AD. Likewise you cant do MSCHAP against a generic LDAP backend.

Looking at a trace of the RADIUS packets will tell you what protocol is being used. Probably CHAP as it not working.

Darran

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

What authentication protocol are you running?

The error you're getting says that the authentication protocol is not supported by the backend db that ACS is talking to.

For example, you cannot use CHAP against Windows/AD. Likewise you cant do MSCHAP against a generic LDAP backend.

Looking at a trace of the RADIUS packets will tell you what protocol is being used. Probably CHAP as it not working.

Darran

Thank you very much Darren, you where spot on. I changed the authentication type and it is working now!

:-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: