Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Plan Redundancy

toddnh65a
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

We were part of the ice storm this week and we were without Internet for almost a week. Not good for a business.

We have Comcast for Cable and they provide high speed internet. They were down a lot.

We have Verizon for phones and could get a DSL link from them. From what I heard, they were up all week.

So here's my setup.

The Comcast link comes into some sort of SMC router. We then plug our mailserver into that (since it has a real IP addy). Then from that into a PIX.

I know I could add a duplicate PIX and let them figure out when one loses the Internet, but I would still lose the mailserver wouldn't I? I mean even if I plugged it into the Verizon DSL, no external router would send inbound email to the Verizon DSL since the addy is a Comcast addy. Is that correct?

Just looking for some thoughts.

1 Reply 1

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Read the below possible solution:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

And for the mail server, I suggest you sign up for dynamic-dns service!

Cheaper than an extra PIX!!

HTH>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: