cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP communicator issues

ankurdesai78
Level 1
Level 1

A user is having a problem with his IP communicator. He is able to talk and the person he calls is able to hear him, but he is not able to hear what the other person is saying. We are using a outside IP address and he is able to make calls. We tested the IP communicator inside the office and everything worked fine. I found on cisco's site that there were two port forwarding entries that needed to be added in the the wireless router for allowing IDP traffic incoming sound. We did that and still did not work. The user's home network consist of a cable modem router (provided by his ISP), a gateway and then a DLINK wireless router. We tried to localize the problem and have him plug in directly into the cable modem router and still got the same issue. We are not sure were to go. In call manager, I can see the device get registered, so we know it is working. Pleas help!

6 Replies 6

jolson3197
Level 1
Level 1

What version of CCM and IPCommunicator are you using? and What is the make of your VPN solution that you are using?

may sound stupid but I've had similar issue with routing...you might have checked this...can he ping the Phone he is calls and vice versa.

Yes, he can ping the IP address of the phone. Also, I see the phone get registed in call manager once IP communicator is opened up and fully loaded to main screen. Very weird problem.

We are using CCM version 6.1.2.1002-1. IP communicator version 7. We are using Cisco VPN client 5.0.04.

But we are using public ip address, so it should work connected or not connected via VPN.

This is what I remember from a few years back. The problems that I've seen come from the softphone, in this case, IP Communicator, binding the wrong IP address. Once the laptop connects to the VPN, it has two IP addresses; one on the physical interface and one on the VPN virtual interface. Now, the bound IP address doesn't interfere with phone registration or call control, but when the voice path is being setup, the CallManager queries each device for the IP address to route the RTP voice packets to and hands that IP address to the opposite end. If that IP address happens to be the physical interface or the users laptop at home, which is most likely a RFC1918 address, the phone in the office will not be able to route the voice packets. And worse, because RTP is connectionless, there will be no error generated.

Therefore, you need to specify the interface/IP address within the softphone to eliminate that problem. I'm afraid that I don't have a copy of IP Communicator, so I cannot walk you through that directly. And, of course, it may be something else entirely.

Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: