cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cellular Over Cisco WLAN

kwonza
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone configured their internal WLAN to support cellular calls over WiFi? Looking for general information.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

reginald-pugh
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.agitonetworks.com/overview.php

They are working with Cisco and porting the mobility experience capabilities indoors to the MSE.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

Are you talking dual band phones that support both wifi and cellular or strictly cellular? You can't do strictly cellular without a third party Distributed Antenna System from a vendor like Mobile Access.

I have had clients require that their Blackberry (T-Mobile) work on their wireless. So far so good... all using 1252's with WLC's.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So can I assume that they are registering their devices with their VOIP or PBX systems? Would like more details on this if possible. Are they roaming to cellular once they leave their WLANs?

These phones do not roam from cellular to wifi and vice-versa. Users must manually switch to wifi and then all they need is internet access to allow them to make calls. These Blackberry's do not integrate with CM at all. I went to a seminar in which Nokia showed off their dual-band phones and what they stated is that it is a manual switch from cellular and wireless.... does not do that automatically.

-Scott

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm sure there is a configuration piece to connect to internal phone system via the WLAN. What did Nokia say about this?

With their phones, they have an application that ties with the MSE, but to date, they have said that users will not be able to roam from cellular to wireless, they would have to manually activate the wireless. It was actually the MSE demo seminar Cisco had in which Nokia showed off their phones. So if you look at the MSE, you would have to find out how much more for the application that ties in the Nokia phones. I don't have that information, but you can contact your local wireless SE.

-Scott

Did you have to increase the DTIM value from 1 to something higher? I have been told that t-mobile needs something greater than 1. Currently have 1130s with WiSM 5.2 and can't not maintain calls.

Yes, dual-band devices which can seamless roam between cellular and WiFi. We have a DAS as well as a Call Manager at one facility. We are looking at the device registration piece with our CM. Thanks

The Nokia Eseries dual-mode phone models E61, E61i, and E65 are supported for use with the Nokia Intellisync SCCP client with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express under the Cisco model number NOK-SCCP-CME-01. There are detailed configuration guides available on the Cisco website.

Hi,

More info about Nokia's SCCP client:

http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.com/nokia_intellisync_call_connect_for_cisco_downloads.php

Supported devices:

Nokia E51 100.34.20 or later

Nokia E51-2 151.34.20 or later

Nokia E60 3.0633.09.04

Nokia E61 3.0633.09.04

Nokia E70 3.0633.09.04

Nokia E61i 2.0633.65.01 or later

Nokia E65 2.0633.65.01 or later

Nokia E66

Nokia E71

Nokia E90 200.34.73 or later

and Nokia E63

-Pasi-

reginald-pugh
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.agitonetworks.com/overview.php

They are working with Cisco and porting the mobility experience capabilities indoors to the MSE.

Hope this helps.

l.mourits
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I'm currently deploying Blackberries on my Wifi networks. T-Mobile has a feature called UMA which enables seamless roaming between WiFi and Cellular network, as long as the user is in the US. Outide the US the T-mobile Blackberry still uses the WiFi network to connect to the UMA gateways and build a secure tunnel, but it does not switch between cellular and UMA (makes sense, as there are peering networks in between from other mobile providers).

So far, testing looks promising. The only challenge I have is that I cannot find any documentation on how DSCP bits are mapped to an LWAPP tunnel in case the SSID is anchored to a central location like we have.

All docs explain the DSCP mapping on LWAPP between the LAP and WLC, but not between WLC and WLC, and it seems (during the test) that it always maps to the same value, no matter what is set on the SSID.

For integration to the internal PBX, T-Mobile seels the MVS (Mobile Voice Server), which is basically a mediation server between the UMA gateway and yur SIP enabled PBX. Not yet bought the product, but looks promising.

If anyone knows how LWAPP sets DSCP on anchored tunnels, please let me know ;-)

Leo

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We are a Cisco shop. We have a combination of autonomous and LWAPs. We also have CUCM and use 7921 and 7925.

A significant number of us who are in the "know" use the WLAN to make/take calls. Nokia, iPhone, Blackberry ... the works.

If you are talking about mobile phone using the WLAN (when coverage allows) and "switching" to the mobile phone when roaming out of range, then we don't have this.

However, Cisco has this product and I just can't seem to recall or find the exact model number.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card