cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7941g IP phone through VPN?

toxicdeath2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am just wondering if there is a way to use a 7941g IP phone through a VPN on my laptop, I am using a wireless connection, which leaves my NIC free for use by the IP phone. Any information on this topic would be appreciated

4 Replies 4

craig.corbett
Level 2
Level 2

I presume you'll be terminating the vpn via the Cisco client so Short answer - no, unless you have a site to site vpn via a router. You could use the Cisco IP Soft phone (Basically a software version of the 7940). Another option would be to enable sip on the phone system, and use a free software sip client. If I were you I'd go with the cisco soft phone (if it's still sold that is).

I have tried using the Cisco IP Soft phone, but unfortunately the voice quality is poor, and there is an echo for the person on the other side.

I've used the softphone both at my current job, and a prior employer, both at remote locations (across the WAN) and via the VPN. Voice quality was great. Couldn't tell that I wasn't in the office. My suspicion is that it isn't the soft phone that is the reason for the poor voice quality but the internet/VPN connection itself. Not sure that it is possible to bridge an actual phone through the PC using the VPN client, but even if it is, would not expect there to be any improvement from the softphone.

Brian Meade
Level 7
Level 7

You can use internet connection sharing if you set up all of the ports used by the phone. You should share your vpn connection to your wired connection. You can also try bridging the two connections together. I would suggest trying the bridging first as that would be the easiest route. Just select the two connections, right-click, and click bridge connections.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: