Views
Helpful
Replies

Re addressing of IP on 2821 Router

shankar1023
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to re address a 2821 router which is connected with 2 switches and 4 AP's. Please let me know how to readdress the IP without taking console connectivity.also,I am going to upgrade the current Leased line to 4 MB MPLS line.

Please let me know where to start the re addressing whether from AP to rotuer or router from AP?

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since the 2821 has connectivity to multiple switches, you can telnet to the fastethernet connected to switch X and change the IP address connected to switch Y.

Test the connectivity from your management station to fastethernet connected via switch Y by telneting to it, then change the IP address on fastethernet connected to switch X.

You can proceed by changing the remaining IP addresses without needing to connect via the console.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can address from outside toward center. This will cause lost of connectivity to readdressed devices until complete path has been readdressed. Or, you might use secondary addressing, on routers, to support both old and new addresses until other devices are on the new addresses. When you change router's primary address, there's often a momentary service interruption, although if done with a clip and paste, some hosts might not notice.

e.g.

(now)

interface Ethernet 0

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

(during remote device transition)

interface Ethernet 0

ip address y.y.y.y 255.255.255.0

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 secondary

(after remote device transition)

interface Ethernet 0

ip address y.y.y.y 255.255.255.0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card