Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan communication between switchports

prakashj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to block all communication between two switchports for a particular vlan and allow the same for all other vlans.

I want to block all traffic including ARP broadcasts for that particular vlan.

Regards,

Prakash

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Prakash,

you can think to use private vlans

private vlans could help:

additional secondary vlans of type isolated or community can be used to allow device to gateway communication only.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/pvlans.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Guisseppe...

But my switchports are connected to another switch and they are configured as trunk...hence we cannot use private vlans...also there are other vlans which needs full communication even to a default gateway.

The model of the switch is 3750. I tried configuring switchport protected but it stopped all communication between the ports. Also there is no option to configure switchport protected for a particular set of vlans.

Regards,

Prakash

Hello Prakash,

in this case you should change your network design adding new vlans and placing some users on each of them

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco