cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS DHCP Server Port-Based Address Allocation & Wireless Bridge?

lekeosi11
Level 1
Level 1

DHCP Server Port-Based Address Allocation is a feature that allows for preassignment of an IP address to a port.

One limitation of the feature is that only one IP address can be assigned per port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/catalyst3750m/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swdhcp82.html#wp1178444

I've got this working on a 3560 switch at a remote site.

I need to plug in a wireless access point on site. Problem is that wireless clients all get assigned the same ip address and can't work properly because of IP address conflicts.

Is there a way to turn on/off this feature per port?

4 Replies 4

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

The first is that there is the potential for IP address conflicts. The majority of the wireless access points on the market are configured by default to assign clients IP addresses in the 192.168.0.x range. This is a problem because it is fairly common to include multiple wireless access points on a single network segment. If each of these access points is assigned the same DHCP scope, then IP address conflicts are bound to occur. Keep in mind that these address assignments may not be limited to wireless clients. Many wireless access points will assign IP addresses to clients on the wired network as well, so you could potentially have clients on your wired network conflicting with wireless clients

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00809d45a2.shtml#WCS11

I should have mentioned that the access point is operating in bridge mode and doesn't assign ip addressses. The switch does all ip address assignments.

Sannie179
Level 1
Level 1

You could try and remove the reserved binding for the port connecting to the wireless bridge, from the dhcp pool.

/Sannie

I've done just that, but I still have the IP address conflicts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card