Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog 11 giga !!!

mmisonne
Level 2
Level 2

I have installed an lms 3.1 one week ago with 200 devices (only) and the file

d:\CSCOpx\log\syslog.log is allreaddy 11 giga.

Also the file :CSCOpx\database\rmeng\syslogsecond.db is 6 giga.

Is there a setting that I misconfigured ?

Or is it possible to change the folder of these log ?

Thanks in advance.

Michel misonne

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to configure log file rotation under Common Services > Server > Admin > Log Rotation. This will alleviate your syslog.log issue.

As for keeping the syslog dataspaces small, you will need to tweak your syslog purge policy under RME > Admin > Syslog > Set Purge Policy. This won't help your current problem, as the dataspaces will not shrink. However, you can contact TAC, and get the DBSpaceReclaim.class file which can free up the space.

Hi Jclarke

What do I need to configure in log rotation

By default :

- backup dir : CSCOpx\log\

- config log file : nothing

Do I need to configure a log file. Wich log file : the syslog.log ?

Also, can I errase this log to get space ?

Michel.

You need to specify the path to syslog.log as your log file. Configure the desired max size, and whether or not you want to use compression. If you want to keep backups of this file, specify how many backups to keep. If you specify 0, then no archives will be kept.

You cannot simply delete this file.

Jclarke,

In LMS 3.1 I do not have the path to the log rotation mentioned in your previous post. Where might I find the log rotation configuration for LMS 3.1 with RME 4.1

Thanks

You have LMS 3.0 or 3.0.1, then. LMS 3.1 comes with RME 4.2. To configure logrot in LMS 3.0, you need to run NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\logrot.pl -c . You should also consult the online help for more details. Search the help for logrot.

Thanks , I will try

Hello, jclarke does the tool DBSpaceReclaim.class could be used in LMS 2.6 and RME 4.0.5 ?

The fact is that my customer has launched the

logrot tool but, the syslog is so big that it can't be opened .

Richard

DBSpaceReclaimer has no impact on log file size. Logrot has been specially written to handle log files over 2 GB. If you're seeing a problem rotating such logs, start a new thread.

Thanks JClarke and sorry , i will opened a new thread.

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco