cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I change the cost of a static route?

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two connections, one on a high speed link "A" in one office, and the other on the slow link "B" in another office. I've setup static routes and these are being redistributed at each site via eigrp. I would like the route to the fast link to appear as a faster alternative to the slower route. Currently both have teh same AD/FD. Any thougts?

Thanks

Dan

3 Replies 3

ullasupendran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dan

While redistributing it to eigrp you can use a route map and match this preffered default route with an ACL and set it with a high bandwith .and in the low prefered route set a bandwidth with a lower value so that ,the high bandwith link will be allways the prefered route and the lower one will be the successor on the EIGRP topology table.

Hope this helps.

Ullas

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

There are some aspects of your question that are not clear to me. Am I correct in assuming that both link A (fast) and link B (slow) originate on the same router but terminate on different routers (in different offices)?

I am a bit puzzled in your description about where the redistribution is being done. You say "these are being redistributed at each site via eigrp". I would have assumed that the redistribution was being done at the router that had both static routes, but the description seems to say that the redistribution is done on the remote routers. A solution that would work if the redistribution was on the router that had both static routes would not work if the redistribution was on the remote routers. If the redistribution was on a single router then I would probably suggest configuring the static routes as a primary and a floating static backup, or perhaps to configure a route map to control the redistribution and to assign a more favorable metric to one and a less favorable metric to the other. If the redistribution was on the remote routers then I would suggest that it would be easy to set the default metric for redistribution more favorable on the router with the fast link and to set the default metric for redistribution less favorable on the router with the slow link.

Perhaps if you can clarify the environment we might be able to give better answers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

archari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can set the metric on router A and router B to different values to achieve this

E.g.

Router a

router eigrp 100

redistribute static metric 4000 (bw) 1 1 1 1

router b

router eigrp 100

redistribute static metric 3000 (bw) 1 1 1 1

here bw 4000 is treated as better than bw 3000 hence path through A should be preferred all other things remaining constant.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card