Views
Helpful
Replies

Change telnet password on ASA

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On my ASA if I SSH to it I can put the same username and password I use when I use the ASDM, however when I tlenet to the ASA it just says password, I simply put in "password" and it lets me, then asks for my username and password, how do I change this first telnet password?

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your telnet line pulls from the enable password if you don't have AAA authentication enabled. You can change the password with:

enable secret

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I disagree :)..

For your password, you need to enter this

ASA(config)#passwd your_telnet_password

annd one john said, to change the enable commmand, you need to enter

ASA(config)#enable password your_enable_password

Enable password in ASA is equivilant to enable secret in router/switches. There is no enable secret in ASA.

pls rate if helpful.

regards,

Mohsin

Hi,

I managed to change the password.

What is confusing (could AAA be enabled):

1.) If I login via telnet I get prompted for a password which I enter, then I get to the user mode (I think) and then type enable and it have to enter my priviliged 15 username and password which I use for the ASDM or SSH.

2.) If I login via SSH I have to enter my level 15 username and password, then when I type enable I have to put my level 15 password in again and not the enable secret password I use in telnet.

All this sound normal?

can you please share the credentials part of your configuration? You may change the encrypted passwords if you want the security ...

For the record, I was wrong. :-) Mohsin was right about passwd changing the telnet password. As for the other, can you post the config? It doesn't make sense.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

thanks for ur help! the official guide said to config telnet password, u can use password command to config the password. but the real command is passwd .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card