cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer image from PC to Switch

muzzia321
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with a Catalyst 2950 switch, and somehow there is nothing on in the Flash memory for it to boot from. I downloaded the image onto my computer, but now i have no idea how to get it from the PC to the switch, without having the switch booted up. Help please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
9 Replies 9

archari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you able to get into rommon?

You should be able to use the tftpdnld command to go from there on.

http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bf9e.shtml

Its for a 2600 router but should be similar for the 2950 as well.

If you do hit a problem post here.

HTH

Well, I'm on a 2950 Switch, so everytime I type in one letter, it goes to the next line, and I cant even type a command. I can't get into rommon, but I can get into just "rom" and that's where it types one letter then goes to the next line.

You have a console port speed mismatch

Make sure you are resetting your terminal emulation software to match the default baudrate i.e. 9600.

If this is a new switch that you are not sure what the baud rate might be, you will have to try some combinations (from 9600 to 1152000) to get the correct output.

It's on 9600 and when it starts, it doesn't boot up, it goes to a thing where it says "switch:" and you can type in commands, but not normal commands. And I can read everything it says. I can't get an actual rommon, but i can type in "trap" and it comes up saying "rom" and thats when I get what was previously stated

Someone might have changed the rommon setting and inadvertently changed the baud rate while typing in the wrong confreg value.

You can try more values (higher than 9600) and see if it comes up properly.

Unfortunately I dont think this switch comes with an aux port (do you see one?) or you could try plugging it in the aux and try bringing it up.

If this is a non functional console port and you are positive the baud is correct, Id raise a tac to have an RMA executed.

There is no aux port on a 2950. Follow these instructions and that should get you going.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

you will probably have to x-modem the image

here are the procedures

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml#topic2

I had the same problem today, and luckily I found this conversation, you have help me a lot. My switch is alive again.

Thanks a lot.

muzzia321
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all your help guys. It loaded and everything. My switch is alive!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card