Views
Helpful
Replies

spantree portfast cat 4006

jnharvey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a problem regarding a printer sometimes not connecting to my network. The switch interface is configured for 100mb/full duplex as is the printer. The switch is configured for portfast and when UTP cable plugged in, the interface comes up but never transitions the vlan interface state to forwarding. When I do a Show spantree X/XX it says port-state not-connected. When I do a show port x/xx all is as per what I would expect connected etc. What am I missing here? Link on both ends speed/duplex matching correct vlan assignment, portfast set so other states of spanning tree should be bypassed I would think it should go straight to forwarding in the Vlan

4 Replies 4

passioncas
Level 1
Level 1

pls share the Sh run int output and sh int

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Do u have the mentioned vlan in the vlan database of this switch.Do u have the STP instance running for the vlan in which u r trying to put this port in..

Thanks

Mahmood

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you do a "show spantree do other ports show up in that vlan and does the switch know who the root is for that vlan ? If this is an intermittant thing where it works sometimes then you have to suspect the printer or a line drop that is faulty or out of spec . Does it show errors on the printer port if you do a "show counters slot/port" ?

Hi all, Thanks for your requests for more info.

I have other devices on this switch working ok within the same VLAN on the switch. The switch is running Catos There are no errors on the switchport. The vlan exists in the database. I have checked the UTP cabling and it passes Using a fluke cable certifier. I have never seen this problem where a port can be "connected" when a "show port x/xx" is issued and a port state of "not-connected" when "show spantree x/xx" when spantree portfast is applied to the port. My belief is that as long as it is connected and i have a valid link then it should transition straight to forwarding and bypass the other spantree states. I do suspect the printer as I have approx 80 other printers in this vlan connectd to both this switch and others all similarly configured with no problems. The port states just raise questions in my mind on how/why?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: