Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco MDS 9222 - Unable to connect via hyperterminal

new_networker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am accessing the MDS via console port. The other end is connected to my serial/usb adaptor (driver installed). I am using the following settings

Baud Rate: 9600

Parity: None

Stop Bits: 1

Data Bits: 8

Flow Control: (Tried all three options)

Sometimes junk chars appear. I have been however successful once in connecting through xON/xOFF option.

I connect to dozen other various Cisco devices with the same PC & adapter. Is there something different for MDS switch.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In my setup I user Tera-term and the flow control is set to 'none' and I am able to connect usually with no issues.

I just tested with Hyper-term and the settings of Speed=9600, Data=8, Stopbit=1, Parity=none, and Flow=none worked just fine.

Hit the enter key several times after the window pops up. I do this to sync the clocks across the serial line. Some times it works even without hitting the enter a few times....seems the first time I connect to a new MDS I have to do this. Once the connection is made, the subsequent connections do not require the multiple enters to sync up.

Hope this helps,

Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sounds like a speed mis match to me. I have used 57600 to attach to some MDSs. IF you can access the MDS command line via telnet or SSH, issue this command to view the settings on the console port. "show line console"

od1-9216i-32# show line console

line Console:

Speed: 9600 baud

Databits: 8 bits per byte

Stopbits: 1 bit(s)

Parity: none

Modem In: Disable

Modem Init-String -

Hope this helps,

Mike

Below is the output on the switch. I am using the same but doesn't connect. Which should the flow control be ?

SAN_SWITCH# sh line console

line Console:

Speed: 9600 baud

Databits: 8 bits per byte

Stopbits: 1 bit(s)

Parity: none

Modem In: Disable

Modem Init-String -

default : ATE0Q0V1&D0&C0S0=1\015

In my setup I user Tera-term and the flow control is set to 'none' and I am able to connect usually with no issues.

I just tested with Hyper-term and the settings of Speed=9600, Data=8, Stopbit=1, Parity=none, and Flow=none worked just fine.

Hit the enter key several times after the window pops up. I do this to sync the clocks across the serial line. Some times it works even without hitting the enter a few times....seems the first time I connect to a new MDS I have to do this. Once the connection is made, the subsequent connections do not require the multiple enters to sync up.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I would use teraterm as Mike suggested :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: