cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I can't see LAN interface on same subnet . .

godzilla0
Level 1
Level 1

I'm configuring a cisco 871. The WAN has the IP 196.12.229.218. It has default gateway 196.12.229.217, wich is the LAN iface of a inet GW. The thing is that we want to reach another LAN iface, the 196.12.229.50. But I can't reach that interface. Do you know why ? We have the same configuration in a very similar environment, and it works. We divide the outgoing traffic dividing the network with netmasks. 1 part to 1st gw and the other part to the 2nd. I don't know why I can't even reach the LAN interface of the other router.

Thanks a lot.

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Where is the other LAN interface 196.12.229.50? From the router, can you ping 4.2.2.1 and get a response back?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Yes, I get response from 4.2.2.1. That's the loopback right ? The interface 196.12.229.50 it's supossed to be in the same switch of all the other LANs. So, even without a route, I should see it, I guess, it's switched ! The only thing that could be wrong is the fact that we are troubleshooting remote, and I don't know if it's really seeing the other ifaces phisically.

Could it be another thing before decide that is not phiscally connected ?

4.2.2.1 is Verizon's DNS servers. Is your 196.12.229.50 address in a DMZ? Are you hosting something on that server, and you're trying to NAT to it? Since you're "troubleshooting remote", can the other side get out to the internet? Can this one host (196.12.229.50) get on the internet?

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I think that subnet is reserved ip address space for private outside addresses, but I am not sure.

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

What is the subnet mask configured on the 196.12.229.218 and the subnet mask configured on the 192.12.229.50?

If they are both connected to the same switch are the switch ports configured for the same VLAN?

255.255.255.0 both

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card