Helpful
Replies

Fiber link between 2 office with media converter

connect2world
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Can the below setup work?

WS-C2960-48TT-L (Gigabit uplink) ---- Cat 5 Lan cable --- Media converter 10/100 --- Multimode fiber < 50 meters ---- GLC-SX-MM= --- CE500G-12TC

Please advise, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Try and get a 1000Mb media converter from your cable vendor on sale or return and try it because that would give you a GE link, if that fails you will have to put 10/100 Mbs media converters at both ends and run it as a 100 Mbs link. Make sure the port on the 2960 is nailed up with the speed/duplex you are using because it probably won't auto negotiate.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

If your media converter complies IEEE standard then the above setup above shd work.

One things can u tell what what is the wavelength of the media converter and i think GLC-SX-MM= 1000BASE-SX SFP transceiver module for MMF, is working on 850-nm wavelength.

So ur media converter shd also be working on 850nm.

Hi viyuan700,

Thanks for your reply. I have this current setup and the vendor who supply the media converter & fiber could not get it to work.After connecting everything up, there is no connectivity. How can I check if the media converter is working on 850 nm as you mentioned.

Do you have any spec paper from the vendor or if you know the model number we can find out from internet.

I am beginning to see where I go wrong, the media converter specs: http://www.advancednet.com.my/pdf/foc_s2e.pdf

say it is running on 1310 nm. I am getting the vendor to change to a 850 nm one to see how it goes.Will let you know the outcome.

this link is for media converter which works for Single mode fiber. Make sure both wavelength and Fiber type match.

Viyuan700,

Need your advice, the cable vendor has change the media converter into 850 nm wavelength.But the setup still does not work. They claimed that both end must have media converter to get this working. When they are back again with a loan identical media converter, they tested the setup and prove to me it work. Please advise again.

There may be a speed mismatch, the GLC-SX-MM= is a GigE SFP, and the media convertors are 10/100Mbs. It may work if you change the GLC-SX-MM with a GLC-FE-100FX SFP (no guarantees). A far better solution would be to replace the the WS-C2960-48TT-L with a switch that has SFP or GBIC interfaces, easier to install and maitain and you also get GigE over the link. Of course using a media converter at both ends will work and give you a 10/100Mb link.

Hi,

As Chris pointed out mismatch in speed, I missed that part Thanks Chris . Like copper based Giglinks which negotiate speed 10/100/1000. Optical are working on 1000Mbps.

I think Either you can try to get a 1000Mbps media converter or an optical card for other switch.

One more thing if you connect 1000Mb Media convterter to GLC=SX-MM and in case there is problem with GLC-SX-MM card,can u use warranty by cisco as you are using third party product?

Ok noted.I am looking for the least expensive way of getting it to work.Getting a 1000Mb media converter is confirm going to work? Not too sure about the warranty portion.

Try and get a 1000Mb media converter from your cable vendor on sale or return and try it because that would give you a GE link, if that fails you will have to put 10/100 Mbs media converters at both ends and run it as a 100 Mbs link. Make sure the port on the 2960 is nailed up with the speed/duplex you are using because it probably won't auto negotiate.

Hi viyuan700 & chris-hart,

I have put in a 1000 Mbps media converter, this resolve the problem, thanks for the advice!

Nice to know your things are up and running after a long time and Thanks for posting that its working.

I'm glad its all up and working for you now and thanks for letting us know.

Is the media converter you currently have take in 1000Base-T (copper) and output 1000Base-SX (850nm, Multimode fiber)?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: