cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Create same VLAN over WAN

infonepal
Level 1
Level 1

I want to create same VLAN in two different locations over radio WAN link. How can i accomplish this ?

My access switches are C3500XL.

Thanks

Ramesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ramesh,

Your topology has a Layer3 link between offices so you need a router terminating the Layer2 tunneling.

You will be implementing a L2TPv3 design and you need a router for that. Any model should be able to provide this service. Depend on the size of the office, I suggest getting a 2800 or 3800 with multiple LAN interfaces. One LAN interface can be allocated for the LAN extension and the other LAN interface can be allocated for normal IP routing.

The command you will be using on the router interface is xconnect, please see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mpls/command/reference/mp_t1.html#wp1051476

for more info.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will need a device at each location that supports some kind of Layer2 Tunneling. The C3500XL does not.

__

Edison.

Edison,

Do you know where I can read up on Layer 2 Tunneling?

can u please suggest me some switching devices which support layer 2 tunneling.

Thanks,

Ramesh

Ramesh,

Your topology has a Layer3 link between offices so you need a router terminating the Layer2 tunneling.

You will be implementing a L2TPv3 design and you need a router for that. Any model should be able to provide this service. Depend on the size of the office, I suggest getting a 2800 or 3800 with multiple LAN interfaces. One LAN interface can be allocated for the LAN extension and the other LAN interface can be allocated for normal IP routing.

The command you will be using on the router interface is xconnect, please see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mpls/command/reference/mp_t1.html#wp1051476

for more info.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card