cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst6509 arp issue, please help !!!

jackson.ku
Level 3
Level 3

Last Sunday one of our Cat6500 ( SW1 ) reboot due to electronic maintenance. After this switch up, some strange was happening.

1.Totally we have 4 Cat6500 switches, these switches connected via L2 EtherChannel with 802.1q enabled.

2.Both the SW1 & SW2 have L3 & L2 VLAN72 and used hsrp. these switches still have many other L2 & L3 VLANs.

3.There are many servers in VLAN72. for example : server A & server B. all of the servers connected to L2 VLAN 72 at another 2 Cat6500 switches : SW3 & SW4. Almost all of servers connected to SW3 switch.

4.I tried to ping server A from both SW1 & SW2 switches, the server A could reply successfully, but ping to server B failed. I used Sniffer to capture all traffics for VLAN72, while ping to server B, the SW1 & SW2 had not generate ARP request packet for server B, also when I execute debug arp, no arp request sent for server B, so no ARP & CEF adjacency entry for server B found in SW1 & SW2.

5.I also used another PC in VLAN 72 to ping to server A & B, both server A & B can replied ARP and ping packet.

6.If I create static ARP entry for server B at both SW1 & SW2, ping from SW1 & SW2 to server B success, both CEF adjacency table and arp table appear.

7.There are many servers have this problem, not only server B.

8.All switch CAM table was correct.

I upgrade SW1 & SW2 IOS to 12.2(18)SXF15a yesterday, but the problem still exists.... Please help !!!

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would check to make sure the servers in question default gateway is actually pointed to the hsrp virtual ip . Is the hsrp active side the same as it was before the power outage ? Also verify etherchannel and trunking are working as designed. Verify spanning tree for vlan 72 and the root is where it should be .

Hi,

We have been checked configuraton and status you mention, everything are fine ...

Best Regards,

Jackson Ku

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Can you post your configs?

Mike

FYI...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card