cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Might be a dumb question....but

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I am second quessing myself on this one. Can I etherchannel a GB fiber connection with a GB copper connection?

Mike

6 Replies 6

dabels
Level 1
Level 1

my suggestion would be to show port capabilities and verify they are the same and if so you should be able to do that.

I don't have show port capabilities command on the switch. It is a 4506 running cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA10.bin

One port is a fiber port (GBIC) on the 4013+ supervisor and the other port is a GB port on a WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V module..

Mike

The reason I said that was that I have seen ports that have different QOS capabilities not be able to sync up on a channel before so I would have to put that in the lab to check it out...maybe there is someone else who has done this on a 4500 We have most of ours on 6500 sorry.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Usually as long as they are the same speed and duplex you can channel them together. Use show interfaces capabilities to check.

The only differance, other than fiber and copper, is the Maximum MTU, the firber max is 9198 bytes and the gigabit copper is 1552. So based on that I could do it....correct?

I should have thought show int cap when show port cap did not work...sorry.

Mike

Hello Mike,

for a working bundle make the mtu the same on both links

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card