Config Arichive failure LMS 2.6

Unanswered Question
Dec 26th, 2008

my weekly config archive job failed almost between 50 - 100 devices randomly every week. the reason is most of the time not using telent or ssh and try other transport method. even though my priority protocol is Telent, SSH, TFTP, SCR, RCP. the onlt solution I got is removed from the RME and ADDED again. for failed devices every week. is there any solution for this? Removing and adding devices does it heart the RME database? or device archive history?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joe Clarke Fri, 12/26/2008 - 10:02

Removing and re-adding devices from RME would indicate that the file system is becoming damaged. Of course, without seeing the underlying errors, I cannot say for certain. Removing and re-adding devices doesn't hurt the RME database, but you will lose all config and inventory history for the devices.

eliaspaulos Fri, 12/26/2008 - 10:11

Thank you J. my biggest concern is not to lose config and inventory history for the devices.

I had issue few month back with RME and initialized the database and ok for last 5-6 month. the error I got is partially successful.actually almost all device failed this time is A Router and running SSH.

I am manage 260 Routers with the same config and 125 of those are failed.

error code -VLAN RUNNING Dec 26 2008 09:14:59 Command failedTELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to - Cause: Connection refused. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using TFTP.VLAN Config fetch is not supported using RCP.VLAN Config fetch is not supported using SCP.

Joe Clarke Fri, 12/26/2008 - 10:14

This error tells me the vlan.dat config fetch failed because the telnet connection was refused. If this is a transient error, your VTY lines may all be occupied on this device. Clearing them should restore connectivity.

If the error is persistent, then either telnet is disabled on this device, or telnet is being blocked from the LMS server.

eliaspaulos Fri, 12/26/2008 - 10:42

Thanks. checked Telnet is not blocked on LMS because I have another 2000 devices with Telnet working just fine with archive config regrading for failed devices VTY not occupied.I can log on all devices from Device center for Telent devices and I am also able to log to SSH devices from Topology's very difficult for me to pinpoint the problem area. I am able to log those failed devices from LMS both for ssh and Telent. but I don't know why RME unable to do it.any idea or suggesting to open TAC case.

Joe Clarke Fri, 12/26/2008 - 10:54

Telnet from Device Center and SSH from Topology Services are not adequate tests. Both initiate the device connection from the client, and not the LMS server. You need to login to the LMS server, and test your telnet and SSH from there when experiencing the config archive problem.

eliaspaulos Fri, 12/26/2008 - 10:58

thanks J. sorry I didn't mention but I am able to log on both Telnet and SSH from LMS server directly to those failed devices. other question is since the device is ssh why try to use Telnet and failed for that.actually for Telent device here is the error message. for Telnet device failure Telnet is not the issue but for ssh device telnet is the problem.

Command failedCould not detect protocols running on the device VLAN Config fetch is not supported using TFTP.VLAN Config fetch is not supported using RCP.VLAN Config fetch is not supported using SCP

Joe Clarke Fri, 12/26/2008 - 12:07

There is a communication problem with the device. You need to enable ArchiveMgmt Service debugging in RME, repeat the problem, then collect the dcmaservice.log.

eliaspaulos Fri, 12/26/2008 - 14:00

I have attached the dcmaservice log. I have posted a portion of the result.

please let me know if you able to read problem from this error or need more info. thank you so much!

Joe Clarke Fri, 12/26/2008 - 15:34

This log is not complete. There should be more before this log began. However, it doesn't appear SSH was tried. You should probably recheck your config fetch transport settings.

eliaspaulos Mon, 12/29/2008 - 10:49

Hi J. yes the problem I have SSH is not tried on these devices. my transport setting is -Telnet->ssh->TFTP. this setting working on all other ssh enable devices.and also these devices are ok until last week.We didn't do any config changes on those devices.

The only thing I did on LMS last week update the device you think is that can cause a problem.all the router failed appears have the same model 3825 chassis.any suggestion!

Joe Clarke Mon, 12/29/2008 - 10:56

Without seeing a complete log, I cannot offer anymore advice. You might want to open a TAC service request so that this can be troubleshot in real-time.

eliaspaulos Mon, 12/29/2008 - 11:33

For security reason I have opened TAC case. thank you so much for your help!!!


This Discussion