Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2650XM IOS

I just bought a 2650XM and it has an older IOS on it (c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-5.bin).

Which IOS should I use? Cisco list the following as the latest releases for the 2650XM with the first two as MD and the rest as ED.

c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-23.bin

c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin

c2600-itpk9-mz.124-15.SW2.bin

c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.XJ4.bin

c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-4.XC7.bin

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=12.4.4-XC7&mdfid=277801010&sftType=IOS+Software&optPlat=&nodecount=6&edesignator=ED&modelName=Cisco+2650XM+Multiservice+Router&treeMdfId=268437899&treeName=Routers&modifmdfid=null&imname=...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard,

Stick with the first one, mainline code. Overall, it's more stable than the other listed codes.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard,

Stick with the first one, mainline code. Overall, it's more stable than the other listed codes.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Thanks. What is the purpose of the different IOS's?

Different feature sets and what the router will support .

Richard,

It can be quite confusing to determine the proper IOS to download. Often, customers call TAC just for that reason.

Different Tracks are created depending on customer needs. The mainline track offers the most stable IOS of all tracks but it does not provide the latest and greatest technologies that Cisco has to offer. When you introduce latest and greatest, you often find that things don't work as expected. Usually that's the 'T' track.

I'm not saying the T track shouldn't be used but if you have all the needed services out of the mainline track, you should stick with mainline for better uptime and router reliability.

Those other tracks listed in your initial posts are the odd tracks. There are often created when a group within Cisco is coming up with a technology that isn't part of the T track nor the mainline track. I would only use those odd tracks if you need the services they are offering.

I recommend visiting the Cisco Feature Navigator and compare tracks to learn their differences: http://www.cisco.com/web/go/fn

The 'Compare Images' link is very useful for this task

HTH

__

Edison.

Edison ... thanks again. Questions beget more questions. Can you load the same IOS on a 2650XM and a 2651XM? Is this the same for all routers ... like 2620XM and 2621XM?

Some router models share the same IOS file while others have specific IOS files for their model.

To be sure, when downloading - select the hardware in question and the images will be presented to you for that specific hardware.

If you have an image already downloaded and want to know what hardware does it support, go to the link I posted in my previous message for hardware support for that image.

In short, the answer is 'it depends'.

__

Edison.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card