cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help with Hyperterminal

EdmondsHOF
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a 1800 series router and a 3550 switch. I also bought a new laptop that runs Vista Ultimate. When I downloaded Hyperterminal, I see everything as normal except it only gives me the option to connect using a fax modem, COM3 and TCP/IP (Winsock). It seems the COM3 is the only option and should work like COM1, but it isn't. Nothing is happening.

My bits per second is set to 9600, data bits 8, parity none, stop bits 1 and flow control none. Like I said, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if I downloaded some bad version. It could really use some help. Thanks,

J.D.

3 Replies 3

Hi JD,

Do you have the scroll lock key enabled?

What port on your computer do you have you console cable plugged into?

And ... are you having the same problem consoling into both devices or is it just one of them?

Richard

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

Go to device manager in your computer and check com ports in use. Also when you connect to the console port, try reloading the the router and or switch while connected.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Go out and download Tera Term , a much better terminal emulation program and it's free . Also a very good SSH 2 or telnet terminal client. It will allow you to select which com port you want to use.

http://www.ayera.com/teraterm/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card