Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

squeeze command

Hello,

I am unsure how to clear files out of my flash. After I delete a file it has the [deleted] tag next to it when a show flash: is performed. I thought all I had to do was squeeze the flash to get rid of it but it keeps giving me the following:

Router#squeeze flash:

Squeeze operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]

first create squeeze log by erasing the entire device

%Error squeezing flash (Unknown error 0)

Router#

Guidance?

Thanks,

Richard

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard,

On Cisco 2600 or Cisco 3600 series routers, the entire file system has to be erased once before the squeeze command can be used. After being erased once, the squeeze command should operate properly on the flash file system for the rest of the flash file system's history.

Please follow the instructions on this page on how to erase the flash:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_s3.html#wp1023203

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard,

On Cisco 2600 or Cisco 3600 series routers, the entire file system has to be erased once before the squeeze command can be used. After being erased once, the squeeze command should operate properly on the flash file system for the rest of the flash file system's history.

Please follow the instructions on this page on how to erase the flash:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_s3.html#wp1023203

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Does that mean I need to erase flash ... then run the squeeze command ... and then reload the IOS back into flash?

Richard

Richard,

Once you erase flash, you don't need to run the squeeze command as all files will be gone.

By doing the erase flash command once, you are conditioning the file system for future squeeze commands.

__

Edison.

Edison,

Understood. But, just want to make sure that once I erase the flash, I will then have to put the IOS back in. Basically, the steps will be ...

1. erase flash

2. copy tftp flash:WORD

Then future flash deletes will be able to be squeezed.

That is correct , you have erase the entire flash then load IOS back on . This is not a big deal as long as you don't have a power outage before you get the image loaded back on .

:-) Not sure why they did it this way or why this wasn't handled at the factory initially.

Glen,

Thanks. I was wondering if that was the case why they just don't do that before it leaves the factory. Oh well ... something for me to do I guess.

Richard

Richard,

Originally, those router models did not support the squeeze command at all.

If you look at the link I posted, the command was introduced on 12.2(1) on those routers.

Here is more information from 12.2's Release Notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/release/notes/122newf.html#wp49244

Many of these routers left the factory with releases older than 12.2, thus it couldn't be done in the factory.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Gotcha. I read what you linked before (and found it useful) but just didn't put 2 and 2 together with respect to the steps involved. That makes more sense. Again, thanks for the spot on information.

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card