cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What do I need for Unity Express?

dev602680006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks, please excuse what maybe a daft question for some.

I'm currently just starting out putting together a lab for my CCNA Voice studies. I currently have a 2811 router with the necessary files for CME and the correct IOS. Everything is running fine so far. I'm soon going to be getting fxs and fxo port cards for analogue connections too.

What I'm confused about is what I need to run a very small/basic Unity Express on this router? Do I absolutely and definitely need a CUE/AIM module as they're very expensive. Is there any other route available to me? I ask this because there is an element of Unity Express on the exam and I want to nail it.

Many thanks for your advice.

Seasons greetings,

Dev.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

To answer your question, at the very least you would need an AIM-CUE to go in your router in order to have voicemail functionality.

Hope that helped, if so please rate.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dev,

Your options here are somewhat limited as nicely noted by my friend Kenneth (Happy Holidays Kenneth!)

Here are the various CUE modules;

Differences Between the AIM-CUE, NM-CUE, and NME-CUE Modules

Cisco Unity Express is supported on the advanced integration module (AIM-CUE), the network module and extended capacity network module (NM-CUE and NM-CUE-EC), and the enhanced network module (NME-CUE). Cisco Unity Express features work the same way on these modules with the following exceptions:

•Physical differences:

-The AIM-CUE is a 6-port module with 1 GB flash memory that stores a maximum of 50 voice mailboxes and 14 hours of voice messages.

-The NM-CUE is an 8-port module that stores a maximum of 100 voice mailboxes and 100 hours of voice messages.

-The NM-CUE-EC is a 16-port module that stores a maximum of 250 voice mailboxes and 300 hours of voice messages.

-The NME-CUE is a 24-port module that stores a maximum of 250 voice mailboxes and 300 hours of voice messages.

•A trace or log command used on the NM-CUE, NM-CUE-EC, or NME-CUE automatically saves the data to the disk. On the AIM-CUE, the trace and log data are not saved to flash memory. A Cisco Unity Express CLI command is available to save the data to the AIM-CUE flash memory.

•The AIM-CUE, NM-CUE, NM-CUE-EC, and NME-CUE support different capacities for scripts and prompts. See the Release Notes for Cisco Unity Express 3.2 for these capacities.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel3_2/installation/guide_/over32.html#wp1070885

You may be able to leverage a simulator like this (below) but for your future CCVP or CCIE-V studies the purchase of the "actual" CUE is a very good investment :)

http://www.voip-tutor.com/article/view/cisco_online_uc_trai

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for advice Rob, yes it was very helpful. A little clarification goes a long way.

Looks like a module of some decription needs to be bought, nevermind, it's a worthy investment I guess.

Dev.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: