cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is cisco 1841 stateful?

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. I understand that cisco1841 firewall function is stateful. But if my cisco 1841 comes without the firewall function enabled, would my 1841 be stateful? Thks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you mean "stateful" in terms of a stateful firewall then no it wouldn't. You can use access-lists etc.. but these are not stateful in the way the firewall is.

Jon

If you don't enable the firewall functionality (ip inspects), then no it's not stateful. If ip inspects are configured on the router, then it becomes stateful.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi Jon,

Thks for your reply. Now i understand that routers are normally not stateful compared to firewalls. I realised that if you do not specify any accesslist on your router it would allow all incoming/outgoing traffic. However if you specify the traffic to allow in your access-list it would allow only that traffic and deny the rest. This is quite different from firewall which is implicit deny all by default.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know if the 1841 supports this feature, but without the firewall feature set, "Reflexive Access Lists" are stateful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: