cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uplink Fast with STP Turned Off?

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

I inherited a network and see some odd configurations that I don't normally do and can't think of a reason for it. One of them has the following statements

spanning-tree uplinkfast

no spanning-tree vlan 20

no spanning-tree vlan 27

no spanning-tree vlan 90

Is there a reason anyone could think of for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Roland,

in this case I strongly recommend to enable STP on all Vlans in use even if they are at the moment confined in a single switch.

I agree that this configuration is not logical and unsafe.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Roland,

be aware that in low end Cisco Switches there is a limit in the number of STP instances that can run on the device.

There is a limit in the maximum number of vlans that can be defined but it can be higher.

To make an example I used some 29xx there was a max STP instances of 64 and a max vlans of 128.

Vlans in excess of first number can be defined but their STP instance is automatically disabled so you can see a configuration like that even without a human configuration.

You can check how many vlans are defined on the switch with

sh vlan

and status of STP with

sh spanning-tree summary

There was a similar thread some mounths ago with the same scenario: someone starting to manage a network with this kind of strange commands combination

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe but that's not the case here, we have 15 VLAN's on these switches and the ones with STP turned off are actually being used.

I can't think of any real reason my predecessor would do something like this other than misunderstanding the UplinkFast functionality.

Hello Roland,

in this case I strongly recommend to enable STP on all Vlans in use even if they are at the moment confined in a single switch.

I agree that this configuration is not logical and unsafe.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought I might be missing something but it's nice to get a sanity check.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card