cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Considerations for removing VTP?

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have VTP running on my network. The network is composed of 2 6509's running CatOS running ver 6.3 and various 3550 and 3750 switches. The 6509's as the servers and all other switches as clients.

I'd like to remove VTP from the network are there any issues or recommended procedures for doing this?

I was just going to turn all the clients to transparent mode when that's done turn the servers to transparent mode too. I'll keep the domain name the same just in case.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Roland

The only major issue is that once all your switches are transparent then you will need to manually add a new vlan to each switch you want it present on but i'm assuming you know this aleady.

Once you change the mode to vtp transparent the vlans will be saved to the running config.

Jon

Yes, I actually prefer to manually add and remove VLAN's per switch.

Currently most of the switches have VLAN's on there that aren't in use on that particular switch. I don't see a reason for doing that. For instance a 4th floor access switch has VLAN's for the other 10 floors on it even though no ports are assigned to those VLAN's it is in the database.

Well you can use pruning and you can also used the "vlan allowed .." parameter to the "switchport trunk" command but as if you really want only the used vlans to be present on each switch then yes VTP transparent is a viable choice.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco