cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port speed LMS 2.6

eliaspaulos
Level 1
Level 1

I have 6509 IOS switch.most of the ports speed configure 100Mbs and some for 1000MBS. but when I do topology services/device Center or even UTU showed the ports configured for 100Mbps as 1000Mbps.also the duplex is wrong showing as half even though it is full duplex any idea. Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is still truncated. But you're the one that needs to be looking at this anyway since you're the one that knows which ports are showing up incorrectly. When you have the ifSpeed and ifDescr data collected, match the two up for the ports that are showing up incorrectly in Campus. If the SNMP data agrees with Campus, then you have a switch issue.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check the ifSpeed value via SNMP. Campus Manager only reports what is sees via ifSpeed. It does not look at the CLI or the config. As for duplex, check the portDuplex object.

thanks J. to understand correctly. so even the port is configured for 100. LMS show 10000. is that because the port capable of 1000? if so why some of the port capable of 1000 however configured for 100. showing the correct 100. I did ask by infrastructure engineer about the confusion. please can you give info how it works or a place I can read more. and the problem is only cat 6509 running IOS. all other switches including 6509 with old CatOS showing the correct speed and duplex. also when I do snmp walk I didn't get ifSpeed result from this switch.

Actually, that is not what I meant. SNMP may be reporting an incorrect port speed, thus causing UT to report an incorrect port speed. That's why looking at the raw SNMP values would be useful.

There is another possibility. If Data Collection is run when the port speed is different (e.g. before the port is connected), then UT acquisition is run later when the port speed is a different value, UT will report the original Data Collection value. You may want to run a Data Collection followed immediately be a UT acquisition to see if that clears up any discrepancies.

Thank you Sir, I am looking the issue one step above from UT. I am on topology services/ port attributes. most of the information there is wrong both for speed and duplex.not sure this section showed the interface speed or the configured Second I did snmp walk from device center. I didn't get neither ifSpeed nor duplex object result. I have run data collection 4-5 times,I guess snmp not reporting no speed/duplex information for long time from this switch. I am wondering snmp get all information but not speed/duplex from 6509 switch run IOS. I don't have issue with the switch running CatOS.I can get the ifSpeed and duplex output.on CiscoView also the device port showed 1000 interface speed and 100 for physical speed. here the information is correct.

I have attached the snmp walk result from one of the switch has wrong port/duplex information.

The walk is clearly being truncated. Use a starting OID of ifTable, and one with the starting OID of portTable.

Again, if you do a Data Collection in Campus, do the port attributes show up correctly immediately following it? If not, this would indicate an issue with what the switch is reporting via SNMP.

I did snmp walk with starting OID of ifTable -> attached the output for starting OID of portTable the result is empty. yes I did data collection in campus and check port attributes immediately, show still wrong information.at this moment is safe to say the switch has snmp problem? and LMS is not guilty??? do you have any suggestion what I may can look on switch side.Thanks a lot for your help as always!!!!

This is still truncated. But you're the one that needs to be looking at this anyway since you're the one that knows which ports are showing up incorrectly. When you have the ifSpeed and ifDescr data collected, match the two up for the ports that are showing up incorrectly in Campus. If the SNMP data agrees with Campus, then you have a switch issue.

I also noticed that "portTable" may be incorrectly translated by the Device Center SNMP Walk tool. Try using the OID instead:

Thank you so much J. yes the snmp out put and the campus data are much. and I am conclude the switch has snmp issue. out of 150 ports only 25 of them speed correctly read by SNMP/ campus.

appreciated you help and expertise!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco