Helpful
Replies

INSTALLING AND CONFIGURING IP ADDRESS ON HWIC-4ESW INTERFACE

tomocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

compliments of the season.

I added a four ports interface card (HWIC-4ESW) to our router 2800 series router (2811).

when i tried to configure an ip address on the fast ethernet 0/0/0 interface, it was showing me that i may not configure ip address on L2 link.

please what does this mean.

And how can i assign ip address to the interfaces.

The interfaces were installed so that I wouldnt have to use sub interfaces to link some of my networks.

I prefer using physical interface instead of sub interfaces which was why we got the extra interfaces but without being able to set ip address on the interfaces the purpose will be defeated.

Can some one help me out please.

Thanks for sharing from your experience.

Tom.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tom

The HWIC-4ESW is the equivalent of a layer 2 switch only so you can't assign IP addresses to the physical ports. What you can do is create a L3 SVI and assign the port into that vlan ie.

create the vlan

2811# vlan database

2811(vlan)# vlan 10

2811(vlan)# exit

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

and then assign the interface into that vlan

int fa0/0/0

switchport access vlan 10

Jon

View solution in original post

Hi Tom,

The behavior for HWIC-4ESW which you have observed is normal. This module is a layer 2 module and does not have layer 3 functionality. Just the way you can not assign IP addresses directly on a 2960 switch, you can not assign ip address directly on the physical interface of this router.

However, what you can do is, to create 4 VLANs and 4 SVIs on the router. Assign an IP address on each of these SVIs and then bind each physical interface with a particular VLAN.

Have a look at the following link - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/esw_cfg.html#wp1051418

HTH.

-> Sushil

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tom

The HWIC-4ESW is the equivalent of a layer 2 switch only so you can't assign IP addresses to the physical ports. What you can do is create a L3 SVI and assign the port into that vlan ie.

create the vlan

2811# vlan database

2811(vlan)# vlan 10

2811(vlan)# exit

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

and then assign the interface into that vlan

int fa0/0/0

switchport access vlan 10

Jon

Hi Jon,

I've noted your input above.

I'll now try it out on my network. I believe it will work.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks so much.

Tom

Hi Tom,

The behavior for HWIC-4ESW which you have observed is normal. This module is a layer 2 module and does not have layer 3 functionality. Just the way you can not assign IP addresses directly on a 2960 switch, you can not assign ip address directly on the physical interface of this router.

However, what you can do is, to create 4 VLANs and 4 SVIs on the router. Assign an IP address on each of these SVIs and then bind each physical interface with a particular VLAN.

Have a look at the following link - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/esw_cfg.html#wp1051418

HTH.

-> Sushil

Hi Sushil,

Thanks so much.

I looked at the link you suggested and it is very informative. I will now try out the configurations on our network.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks

Tom

cisco_admin1
Level 3
Level 3

TEST comment

TEST reply

None of the options worked since on a Cisco 2811 router vlan database is deprecated. What I did was purchase an hwic -1FE card and configured it with a different ip address so that it would not interfere with my fa0/1. And I was able to configure ssh etc to login remotely which is what I wanted to do and not create a vlans or svi connection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card