Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 871, pppoe and strange problem with some Internet sites

Hi all,

I've got this strange problem with my cisco 871 router. The ISP provide my Internet thought pppoe, which I don't know it it has anything to do with my problem.

The problem is that 2 of my home computers (running Windows XP SP3) can't access some internet sites (like www.yahoo.com, www.abv.bg) and may be others. In the same time I am able to open these sites with my laptop running Windows Vista.

The ping and telnet to port 80 to these sites shows no problem from all computers.

3 Replies 3

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

If it's working fine from your laptop and not working from your desktop. Might be problem in some configuration setting.

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Things to try would be:

See if you can ping yahoo.com from the workstation that doesn't work. If you can't, you're having a problem with DNS on the workstation. It probably doesn't have anything to do with your laptop running Vista vs. workstations running XP.

You also might try clearing your dns cache on the workstations:

ipconfig /flushdns

That "might" help. If your laptop is working okay, then there's nothing wrong with the internet connection. (That's a good thing.) :-)

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks for the replay,

There is no problem with the DNS, because I can ping the problem sites from each computer. Additional I'm able to open a telnet connection to these sites on port 80, from each computer.

I'm suspecting that I have some pppoe issue because I have another Linksys router with which I don't have any problems from any computer.

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card