cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up Frame Relay

dhopper82
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2811 router that I am trying to run a test on for a project. I have been given a NM-HDV2-2T1/E1. Can I set up frame relay on this and if so how would I do it? Here is a sample of the commands I would like to use...

On physical interface

mtu 4400

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

ip route-cache flow

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

On sub-interface...

interface Serial0/0.476 point-to-point

description PPVC SC100

bandwidth 128

ip address 10.98.44.1 255.255.255.0

traffic-shape rate 128000 7936 7936 1000

traffic-shape adaptive 96000

frame-relay class primary

Can this be done using that module??

4 Replies 4

Dennis,

Here is a comprehensive doc on how to configure frame-relay. If you understand the basics of configuring frame-relay, it should help you configure FR on your interface.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk237/technologies_tech_note09186a008014f8a7.shtml

You might also want to know about issues with frame-relay inverse arp from the above doc.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have been given a NM-HDV2-2T1/E1. Can I set up frame relay on this and if so how would I do it?

As long as you fit the Network Module above with a VWIC module, not a VIC module - the router configuration will display the serial interfaces and you should be able to configure it, just as you illustrated.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5365/products_data_sheet09186a0080191d41.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks, it has a VIC module in it now. I'll see about getting a replacement.

Dennis

There is an aspect of your original post that may need some clarification. In the original post you state:"I am trying to run a test on for a project". If the 2811 will connect on its serial interface to an active Frame Relay switch then yes your suggested configuration should work. If your test does not include an active Frame Relay switch then it will not work as configured. There are ways to set up routers back to back (the typical test scenario) and run Frame Relay, but it requires some different configuration than what you have got.

So is there an active Frame Relay switch you will connect to or not?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card