cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4402 - Any way to get one of the ports to work at 100 Mb?

Lucas Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

I have purchased the 4402 Wireless Controller with 2 gigabit ethernet GBICs. However, the switch I am connecting the port to is only 10/100. Is there anyway to get the controller ports to talk at 100 instead of 1000 mb?

Would purchasing a 100BaseT GBIC instead of a 1000BaseT GBIC due the trick?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NO.... these ports on the wlc are 1000mbps and will not autonegotiate or allow you to set them to a speed other than 1000mbps. You could of used a 2100 which does support 100mbps, but this doesn't allow you to LAG (etherchannel) the ports.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NO.... these ports on the wlc are 1000mbps and will not autonegotiate or allow you to set them to a speed other than 1000mbps. You could of used a 2100 which does support 100mbps, but this doesn't allow you to LAG (etherchannel) the ports.

-Scott

Thanks for your reply, I found that this document says the same thing:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_qanda_item09186a008064a991.shtml

I suppose I will setup a 2 port vlan on my gigabit switch, one port for the Controller and the other port to connect to my 100 mb switch. This will allow the controller to speak to the gigabit switch, and then in return, the gigabit switch can talk down to the 100 mb switch.

Correct... That will be the only way you can connect it to your network. Just make sure you don't enable LAG on the wlc and specify the port on your interfaces to the port on the wlc you have connected to the switch.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: