Views
Helpful
Replies

First time BGP routing with a possible loop

the_crooked_toe
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

We are revamping our network and routing protocols and we have decided to go with BGP.

Attached is a .jpg of our topology with the BGP configurations on each router. If you look at the jpg my questions will make more sense.

I have a total of 5 cities.

Louisville

Lexington

Cincinnati

Covington

Frankfort

Lou, Lex, Cinci, and Cov have a MPLS router connection to a cloud.

All 5 cities have a Point-to-Point router connection to a router in Louisville.

I was told to put all the routers in the same BGP AS. This way all the routers can talk.

I understand that this is how the MPLS cloud can see Frankfort.

I believe I am going to have some confusion because the Lexington MPLS router and the Louisville P2P router are both giving out the 'default information originate' command.

Since all the BGP routers can communicate, won't this stir some confusion? who knows who has the default route?

Will this not be a factor because the core routing switch in every city has this in their routing table?:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 MPLS ROUTER metric 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Point-to-Point ROUTER metric 100

Or should I have different AS numbers for each type of connection?

The goal here is to have Frankfort go out of Louisville for internet access on the Point-to-Point links. The point-to-point links be a backup incase the MPLS circuit goes down in any city.

I also want Cincinnati and Covington to go out of Lexington for internet access through the MPLS.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Reply 1

the_crooked_toe
Level 1
Level 1

another question.

This might not be a problem because each BGP config has to have neighbors specified, thus creating a seperation of 'default information-originate' commands.

But now, do I have to make the MPLS router and Point-to-Point router in every city a neighbor to one another? And if i do that am i back to my previous dilemma?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: