Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF passive-interface between MSFC and FWSM

MATTHEW BECK
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a question about what may be best for OSPF on a 6509 with an FWSM. The MSFC of the 6509 has multiple /29 subnets facing the outside interfaces of multiple FWSM instances. I manage the FWSM instances via these outside IP addresses so I need them in OSPF. The FWSM in multi-context mode doesn't support OSPF (yet?) so currently I am redistributing connected off the MSFC and the subnets appear in my routing tables.

But what if I switch to a network statement on the MSFC for each subnet (and remove the redistribute connected) and then mark them as passive? I believe this will have the affect of carrying the subnets in my tables without sending OSPF hellos to an FWSM that isn't listening anyway.

I hope that makes sense. It's probably my last coherent thought before I relax and forget about this until next year. :-)

Happy New Year!

Matt

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Matt

Happy New Year as well !

Sounds perfectly logical to me. OSPF will still advertise the subnets out of the other interfaces.

It would be real nice if Cisco would add support for dynamic routing protocols in multi-context mode, this has been a pain for me in the past as well.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card