Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sub-interface encapsulation

Hi,

I have some 2600 routers that do not allow for encapsulation to be set when a sub-interface is created. I guess this is due to IOS but was wondering how you configure a sub-interface without the encap command available. I imagine it is a possibility since it allows for the creation of the sub-if but can't figure out how. Is it done by using the bridge group commands?

Thanks,

Richard

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Richard,

if the encapsulation command is not supported I think you cannot use Vlan subinterfaces.

In this kind Of IOS images bridge-group commands are supported on physical interfaces.

Once it happened to me to load an IOS image in a Cisco 7200 or 7500 with the same behaviour I tried to use them with no success.

The Cisco engineer that was following us told us to change it.

missing to define a way to multiplex demultiplex frames over the trunk should cause forwarding problems.

However, you can try with the bridge-group command if supported and using BVIs (IRB) but I usually saw bridge-group supported on main interfaces only

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Guiseppe,

How should the distant end sub-interface that supports dot1q be set up if using the bridge-group command on the physical interface at the local device?

Richard

Hello Richard,

sorry if I've been unclear:

if enc command is missing AND bridge-group can be given only on main interface

THEN

you cannot use VLan subifs

Look for an IOS upgrade.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

jaregalado
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is a common issue with low end IOS versions on 26xx routers, typical solution is to upgrade IOS and maybe memory on router, depending on the chosen IOS. Take a look at this previous post:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&topicID=.ee71a04&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddfe0cb

More posts on this issue can be found searching for "encapsulation dot1q unrecognized".

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: