Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with IOS upgrade

sgoldschmidt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am new to cisco routers and switches but i've been trying to find out how do i upgrade my cisco IOS on all of my routers.

i have 3 cisco 2620 with IOS 12.1(5)T10 and 1 cisoc 3640 with IOS 12.1(5)T10

i've been told that i need a cisco smartnet in order to purchase the IOS updates but my equipment is old and out of service and out of warranty and cisco will not sell me smartnet.

is there any other way i can get IOS upgrades for my routers?

5 Replies 5

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

Legally, no.

You need to have an active maintenance contract on the device you are upgrading. You then need a cisco.com CCO account assigned to your maintenance contract. Once you have that you can download the software on the Cisco web site.

How to do you acquire a service contract? Does you automatically have one when you purchase a router?

I purchased my 851 from an online retailer and I have never been able to figure out how to up grade my IOS. I personally thought that I would at least be able to upgrade within a point release. But I guess not.

Thanks!

Mike

Stephen

Both the 2620 and the 3640 are past their end of support dates. And as such I do not see how you would be able to get a suport contract, which is generally required to get an IOS update for them. One option that you might try is to call Cisco TAC and ask if there are any security advisories for the software on those routers that could enable you to get a software update to remediate the vulnerability in the advisory.

Mike

If you purchased your 851 recently you might contact the retailer and ask if they an assist you in getting a software upgrade. Otherwise I believe that you would need to work with some Cisco partner to purchase a maintenance contract on your 851 which would allow you to obtain software upgrades.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick.

The 851 was purchased about 2 years ago so I will have check into the situation. I basically purchased it not for security but for stability. Those consumer grade SOHO routers just couldn't handle media streams and would often overheat. The 851 has been rock solid. Not one problem. My only complaint is the clunky SDM software. If I had time I would learn the IOS command syntax.

Mike

mikieboyblue
Level 1
Level 1

(Sorry for hijacking your thread!)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card