cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Netflow collect statistics on layer2 interfaces?

cchughes
Level 1
Level 1

I have enabled netflow on a 6513 running 12.2(33)SXH2a. Right now it is collecting statistics for layer3 interfaces only. Can Netflow be configured to collect statistics for layer2 interfaces?

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Nope.

Hope that helps.

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

Curious... what type of information are you trying to capture in netflow on a L2 interface?

I'm concerned about seeing server to server flows on the same subnet/vlan. Will a L3 vlan interface do the trick?

Chris

If the server to server flows are on the same subnet/vlan then the servers communicate directly with each other - from a layer 3 perspective. (frames do come in one layer 2 switch port and exit another layer 2 switchport - so in a layer 2 perspective the 6500 does see them) From a layer 3 perspective the 6500 does not see that traffic. And NetFlow reflects what the router/switch sees at layer 3. So I do not believe that it is possible to see what you want with NetFlow.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick, That clears it up for me.

Hi,

on a Cat6500 (Sup720) it is possible to monitor L2 traffic with netflow.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/netflow.html#wp1157805 (Enabling NetFlow for Ingress-Bridged IP Traffic) for details.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: