Helpful
Replies

transfer option in unity

hetao1601
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have some question on unity:

1, For configuring call transfer options on the User menu, there are two transfer type, that is 'Release to switch' and 'Supervise transfer'. I know Supervise transfer let unity play greeting when the phone is busy or noanswered, but how about 'release the switch'? Does it always loop the call to Callmanager or let caller listen the busy ring? Does it mean if I want the caller can hear busy and unavailable greeting, I must choose 'supervised transfer'?

2, I have setup a unity connection but I found there are many options cannot be changed in transfer option, such as 'Ring to wait For', it just is 4 times. Can I change that?

Very Thanks

Tao

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tao,

#1 - The Release to Switch or Supervised Transfer do not come into play in relation to how/when a call is forwarded to Unity. In your example about Busy/Unavailable Greeting vs a "Busy Signal" this is determined by the Call Forward Busy and Call Forward No Answer settings that are configured under the Directory Number Config page in CallManager.

#2 - Here is the way to change this number of Rings before Forwarding to Unity, "System Wide" :)

Go to Cisco CallManager System Parameters from the Cisco CallManager Administration page. Select Service > Service Parameters.

Select the server to be your IP address and the service to be Cisco CallManager from the drop-down list.

Select Forward No Answer Timer (sec) from the list.

In the Value field, insert the timeout that you would like to configure (the time must be inserted in seconds). The default is 12 seconds so you may want 18 or higher.

Click Update on the top of the page.

Note: You do not need to restart the Cisco CallManager service to implement the changes.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080111c18.shtml#solution3

***This can also be changed on a per Device basis on the Phone configuration page via No Answer Ring Duration = x number of seconds.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Just to add to Rob's excellent post, starting with CM 4 you can change the ring no answer timer individually on each line by adjusting the "No Answer Ring Duration (seconds)" setting on the Directory Number.

Also, for point #1, think about it as relese to switch - blind transfer (from Unity to CM) and supervised - consult transfer.

HTH,

Chris

Very Thanks for Rob's reply.

Since Busy/unavaiable Greeting is determined by the call forward Busy and Call forward No answer setting under Callmanager, what is difference btw Release to Switch and Supervised under Unity?

Tao

the name is pretty self explanatory.

release to switch means unity will make the call using a VM port and no longer cares what will happen, it can fail, go to other DN, whatever the call control agent says.

supervised transfer means Unity won't release the call and will see what happens, this is mostly used when the user might not be able to take the call, then unity retrieves the call by itself and send you to the user's VM

you can look at the Unity documentation if you want more info

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate